Friday, October 17, 2008

RHOADES/RHODES/RHOADS REUNION Sept 27th, 1998

RHOADES/RHODES/RHOADS REUNION

Sept 27th, 1998

Log by Participant

Note: Your regular host was on vacation and GFS CheriM graciously filled in for me.

The attendance was no doubt down because I forgot to arrange for a last minute reminder:(

The next meeting will be on Sunday Dec. 27th at 10:00pm EST in the Family Reunion Room

GFS CheriM: HI. Here for the Rhoades/Rhodes, etc reunion?
GFS CheriM: Where is your roadblock at?
GFS CheriM: Is Jerusha the wife?
GFS CheriM: PM--have you found them on the US census yet in VT or OH?
GFS CheriM: PM--which state in 1880?
GFS CheriM: PM--how fun. That means you have to check out ALL the
GFS CheriM: Rhodes men in 1840!! Yipes! But I've done things like that!
GFS CheriM: PM--more mystery!
GFS CheriM: JnL--who is your Rhodes ancestor?
GFS CheriM: And of course the hubby had to die before the 1850 census!
GFS CheriM: JnL--what time period?
GFS CheriM: Jn--wow, you are back pretty far!
GFS CheriM: Jn--now that is REALLY far! Did you exhaust the records?
GFS CheriM: I can't get my Rhodes ancestor past 1840 or so.
GFS CheriM: My Rhodes are Alabama to Missouri.
GFS CheriM: But you never know. GFS Bud (he's the head hauncho of
GFS CheriM: these online Rhodes/Rhoades/Rhods, etc reunions) has a
GFS CheriM: website and he will post this group meeting. Others will
GFS CheriM: download it. Maybe you will get a connection that way!
GFS CheriM: PM--no there are usually more people. Bud said he couldn't
GFS CheriM: come (he was out of town I think) so that my explain the
GFS CheriM: lower turnout this time.
GFS CheriM: I guess Western is anything west of the MS river.
GFS CheriM: JnL--where in AR?
GFS CheriM: JnL--is that a county? I have roots in Carroll Co AR (NW AR)
GFS CheriM: JnL--oh rats.
GFS CheriM: PM--did you find Jerusha on any other census (besides 1880?)
GFS CheriM: PM--So you will have to look up all her kids then. I have a female ancestor that did that.
GFS CheriM: Ken--GFS Bud is out of town or something, so that is why I
GFS CheriM: think we have a lower turn out.
GFS CheriM: Ken--what state?
GFS CheriM: PM--have you tried putting queries into historical/genealogical socities in those areas?
GFS CheriM: Ken--I *think* that there might be a Rootsweb list for Knox
GFS CheriM: Co KY and perhaps a USGenWeb page. Either that or I have
GFS CheriM: mixed it up with Knox Co TN.
GFS CheriM: Ken--have you checked those places?
GFS CheriM: Ken--you have the URLs right?
GFS CheriM: PM--have you tried the USGenWeb page and posting a query in the OH & VT areas?
GFS CheriM: Ken--yes, they are I think.
GFS CheriM: Ken--or on the lists I belong to, some people say they have
GFS CheriM: the old Lists. Maybe it is just the old postings and not an
GFS CheriM: index.
GFS CheriM: Ken--is there a Rhodes-L list?
GFS CheriM: I was wondering if it was Rhodes-L@rootsweb.com or
GFS CheriM: Rhoades-L@rootsweb.com or, or or (so many Rhodes
GFS CheriM: spellings!)
GFS CheriM: I will have to go to Rootsweb and look it up!
GFS CheriM: Ken--OK thanks! I guess you subscribe to it. Do you PMc or JnL?
GFS CheriM: Ken--in the subject and body of the email (you put subscribe), correct?
GFS CheriM: PMc--Better post to that list. Rhodes in OH!!
GFS CheriM: Most of those Rootswebs lists are great! And the folks so helpful.
GFS CheriM: Ken--how many posts do you get a day on the Rhodes-L list? (approx)
GFS CheriM: Ken--that is great!
GFS CheriM: Ken--that is good. I like genealogy business!
GFS CheriM: Nite Ken! See you in Dec!
GFS CheriM: Next Rhodes/Rhoads/etc Reunion on Sunday, Dec. 27th!
GFS CheriM: PMc--probably next time. Bud said he would be absent. I've seen 12-15 here, I think.
GFS CheriM: JnL--you too! Happy hunting!
GFS CheriM: PMc! Good luck!
GFS CheriM: Good night all you Rhoades/Rhodes, etc Researchers!

JnLRhodes: Benjamin Rhodes b. in NC, cant
JnLRhodes: Can't go beyond Benjamin.
JnLRhodes: Benjamin born 1720 in Duplin Co. NC
JnLRhodes: Benjamin son Jacob born in NC 1800
JnLRhodes: sorry Jacob was married in 1800
JnLRhodes: Jacob married Rachael Clinton and have her family back to 1200
JnLRhodes: My father in law had information and I just started working with it in Feb.
JnLRhodes: Our Rhodes ended up in Arkansas and the old home is still there,was built in 1850
JnLRhodes: Sheridan, AR
JnLRhodes: No, Sheridan is in Grant Co. AR, (central AR, south of Little Rock)
JnLRhodes: Good luck on your research and good night.

KenElery: Yes, Alexander Rhoades, Clay Co IL, Maybe Menard Co IL
KenElery: Hello, I'm Back. Where is everyone?
KenElery: I'm looking for info on Alexander Rhoades (Rhodes) born 1838- 1843
KenElery: Maybe he was in Mayard Co IL, 1860, Maybe Knox Co KY in 1860
KenElery: No, but everything else I can think of, will ch those
KenElery: Is there a rootsweb index for Lists?
KenElery: OK, I'll find it ok
KenElery: The Rhodes list has been very active lately
KenElery: Yes on Rootsweb-L@, and I forget the rest
KenElery: RHODES-L@Rootsweb.com is correct
KenElery: Yes you do by sending Subscribe in email
KenElery: I just now received one from someone looking for a THeodore RHODES from Ohio
KenElery: Probably 10 or more
KenElery: They are very active and all business (Gen)
KenElery: I'd better go, see you all later

PMcneely: Yes, I'm at a roadblock on this line and hope to make a connection.
PMcneely: I have Jerusha Smith who married a Rhoades either in Vermont or Ohio. She had at least six
PMcneely: children in Ohio and lived mostly in the Columbus area. One daughter named Louisa Rhodes
PMcneely: married Hiram Wilcox and died with no heirs.
PMcneely: Yes Jerusha b. May 4, 1804 in Rutland Co VT married Unknown Rhodes
PMcneely: Jerusha and Unknown Rhoades were in Ohio by 1835.
PMcneely: Jerusha shows up on the census in 1880 living with her daughter Louisa Wilcox. I can't
PMcneely: locate her before that in Ohio. Daughter was born 1835 in Ohio.
PMcneely: Suspect Jerusha Smith Rhoades' husband died just before 1850. She lived in Ohio.
PMcneely: Rhoades family living in Franklin County or Delaware County OH abt. 1835-1890?
PMcneely: Yes, need Jerusha's husband. Her last name may have been Bodfish when she married.
PMcneely: I can eliminate Benjamin Rhoades in Delaware Co, Ohio. Two of Jerusha's children were
PMcneely: living with him in 1850 but Jerusha is nowhere to be found.
PMcneely: JnL, where did Benjamin live? Do you have dates?
PMcneely: JNL, I'm in awe!
PMcneely: Anyone have Rhoades who may have traveled from Vermont to Ohio? About 1830?
PMcneely: I've been waiting to get in on this chat since I missed the one in June. Is it usually this
PMcneely: slow?
PMcneely: That is great. Sure would like to find Jerusha's husband. We actually have a
PMcneely: letter written by Jerusha to her nephew. She talks of burying 4 children
PMcneely: and one son who is in the western country.... don't know where that is.
PMcneely: No, apparently she wasn't the head of her household.
PMcneely: I did check other Rhoades living in the vicinity in Delaware & Franklin Co OH.
PMcneely: Jerusha's maiden name was Smith and she had Kilborn kin
PMcneely: Anyone have Rhoades from Vermont to Ohio about 1830?
PMcneely: Yes, I joined Franklin Co society and have contacted State Library of Ohio for info.
PMcneely: Looking for Unknown Rhoades who married Jerusha Smith and lived in Ohio by 1835.
PMcneely: Possible father was Benjamin Rhoades b. 1775, Vermont
PMcneely: Yes, Cheri, I have posted but not one bite.
PMcneely: Anyone have a Celesta or Cholesta Rhoades who married Nathaniel E. Richards abt. 1848 in OH
PMcneely: Do we know Theodore's wife?
PMcneely: Wish there were more of us Rhoades searchers here!
PMcneely: I'll sign off too. I subscribed to the Rhoades list so maybe something will
PMcneely: happen. Goodnight!

No comments: