Friday, October 17, 2008

RHOADES/RHODES/RHOADS REUNION September 23, 2001

RHOADES/RHODES/RHOADS REUNION

September 23, 2001 Log


HOST GFS bud: If any of you had a connection with an ALICE SHUFFLER
HOST GFS bud: RHODES wife of ABRAM or ABRAHAN RHODES both
HOST GFS bud: born in Burke CO. NC (the family might have migrated to
HOST GFS bud: Plano TX) please contact Nancy Huffamn at
HOST GFS bud: omarolaf@sandteck.net

HOST GFS bud: Hi ! Welcome to the Rhoades/Rhodes/Rhoads reunion _
HOST GFS bud: Where are you callin in from ?
HOST GFS bud: Meeting starts on the hour
ARCAN23: I had to figure out what I'm doing. Oh, I thought it was at 9:00 central
ARCAN23: First time I was ever early for anything.
HOST GFS bud: It is 9:00 central
ARCAN23: I'm calling from Decatur, IL
ARCAN23: Are we the only ones?
HOST GFS bud:
So far :) but I expect we will have a bunch
ARCAN23: Have we e-mailed before? I can't remember. Just got online recently and was mailing a bunch of relatives from various parts of the family.
HOST GFS bud: What Rhodes family are you descended from ?
ARCAN23: From Emma Rhodes Lichtenberger and William Lichtenberger. They were my g. grandparents.
HOST GFS bud: I don't recall hearing from you
ARCAN23: I remember responding to a couple of messages on boards about Rhodes info.
HOST GFS bud: I descend from a Henry Rhoades he was my qqqq grandfather
HOST GFS bud: Hi Ken _
KenElery: Hello everyone
ARCAN23: I don't know names of any of the siblings of my g. grandma. Hi, Ken.
ARCAN23: This is also my first experience at a chat room. I don't do ones other than family.
HOST GFS bud: Ken has been here before Right ?
KenElery: My Rhoades,Rhodes, Roads are from Knox Co KY
KenElery: Yes before
HOST GFS bud: What is your name ARC ?
ARCAN23: How often do you have these reunions?
KenElery: Where is everyone Bud?
ARCAN23: Melanie. My mom's maiden name was Lichtenberger. She remembers Emma quite well.
HOST GFS bud: We have them quarterly. on the fourth Sunday of Mar, June,Sept and Dec
ARCAN23: As I recall, she and my g. grandpa are buried in Fairlawn Cemetery here in Decatur.
HOST GFS bud: Don't know Ken I sent out a reminder yesterday
HOST GFS bud: Ken: Where are you callin in from ?
ARCAN23: Mom said g. Rhodes scared her half to death. That she was a real terror.
KenElery: Arcan23 are you in Decatur, IL?
ARCAN23: Are there usually quite a few people here? Yes, I'm in Decatur.
HOST GFS bud: Melenie: Yes, we usually have at least 10 or 15
ARCAN23: It's with an "a". Melanie. Thanks.
HOST GFS bud: Sorry _
ARCAN23: So what does everyone talk about? Just how we're all related, or what?
KenElery: I descend from Hatchetts, Sandersons, and Harris there in Decatur as well as Rhoades in Clay co.
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: Have you been searchin family very long ?
ARCAN23: <---member is attempting to disrupt chat
HOST GFS bud: ARC: We try to help each other out with our Rhodes etc research
ARCAN23: My best friend has done extensive research on her family and is really heavily into research.
ARCAN23: I feel fortunate that I can find info so quickly now with being online instead of holing up in some dreary genealogical library.
HOST GFS bud: ARC: Have you used GOOGLE.com ?
ARCAN23: So how long ago did you start doing these reunions? What is Google?
ARCAN23: You can call me Melanie. ARC are my husband's initials. Mine were already taken when we signed up.
HOST GFS bud: This is the 6th year for these Rhodes reunions. This was the 3rd one to
HOST GFS bud: go on the internet when AOL had only 300,000 members
ARCAN23: Great. So did you say are your Rhoades people from this area?
KenElery: Google.com is a search engine. Good one
HOST GFS bud: If you go to web site www.google.com and insert a surname Google
HOST GFS bud: will link you to all the many references to that name on the Internet
ARCAN23: I was just going to ask if Ken nodded off. Hadn't heard from you. So far I have just researched through AOL.Parenting. But I have a whole list of sites from my friend. Just haven't had time to look at them yet.
HOST GFS bud: Ken: Some of my Rhodes folk pioneered in Edgar Co IL in the early 1800rds
KenElery: I'm here
KenElery: Bud I have mine spotted but lack Documentation
KenElery: Mine came to Illinois after the civil war from Knox Co KY
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: Do you know where your Great Grand parents were from ?
KenElery: I really would like to connect My Alexander to at least on of his siblings
ARCAN23: I'm still here. Give me a minute.
HOST GFS bud: Ken: One branch of my Rhoads folk pioneered in Muhlenberg Co KY in the late 1700rds
HOST GFS bud: Ken: Do you know how early your family were in Knox CO?
KenElery: A lot of Rhoads in Muhlenbery but as yet I don't connect with them
KenElery: Yes, William and Keziah were there in 1802
HOST GFS bud: Ken: We attend an annual reunion in Muhlenberg Co on the 4th
HOST GFS bud: weekend of April in Browder KY Most are descended from Henry
HOST GFS bud: Rhoads Jr from Somerset Co PA
KenElery: My Alexander Rhoades served in the Civil war but I can't find him therre either
KenElery: Mine reoprtedly came thru SC
KenElery: oops
HOST GFS bud: Ken: Have you ever read any of Allan Echerd's books on the Indian wars
KenElery: No, Tell me
ARCAN23: I'm back. My little one had a problem and I was looking up info.
HOST GFS bud: He wrote about the early settlement of Ohio and KY and the history of
HOST GFS bud: the indian attempts to drive the people out of their lands
KenElery: I believe My Wm may have served 1812 but I have been too tied up to look that far back
HOST GFS bud: One of his books, his best is "Frontiersmen" I bought my copy on Amazon.com
KenElery: How much, May I ask?
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: What does your husband do in Decatur?
HOST GFS bud: Ken: I think about $30 About 600 pages. You won't put it down
ARCAN23: For the present time, he works for Burks Pumps. They are closing in the next couple of months. He has worked there 23 years.
HOST GFS bud: I understand Decatur has some economic problems.
ARCAN23: That's an understatement. There will be approximately 2,000 laborers being turned out from various factories here by the end of December. Whee!
ARCAN23: I keep saying they should change the town motto to "Last one out, turn off the lights". You gotta keep laughing.
HOST GFS bud: Ken: It covers the period from about 1750 through about 1823. It is
HOST GFS bud: based on letters and journals and colonial records
ARCAN23: The first Rhodes I know of was my g.g. grandfather, Jacob, and his wife, Elizabeth Brooks Rhodes.
KenElery: Melanie, I have a great Uncle loose in Illinois in ca1880
KenElery: Bud that sounds like my ancestors
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: Dubuque. IA had the same motto in the mid 80's. We are
HOST GFS bud: having some 400 John Deere jobs going to Mexico from here next year
HOST GFS bud: _
KenElery: The Rhoades were connected somehow with the HORNS who wwere involved with Fort Booneville
ARCAN23: Ken, I know my g. g. grandparents came here around 1858, according to notes from a journal by my grandfather Lichtenberger. That would have been his grandparents.
ARCAN23: I have a copy of my g.grandparents marriage license. They were married in Oakley in 1888.
HOST GFS bud: Ken: Try your local Barnes and Noble and you might even check out your public library
KenElery: Will do
HOST GFS bud: When we ask for a ROLLCALL, send us your list of surnames you are
HOST GFS bud: researching like so: ISENHART, RHODES, GILBERT, WINTER, OTTINGER,
HOST GFS bud: JOSI, SCHRIVER, DUFFY, MCGINTY, DRISCOLL, DONOVAN, BUCKLEY,
HOST GFS bud: CATIGAN, BURKE
ARCAN23: I also just read from my old notes something I'd forgotten. There was a famous ballplayer for the Giants in 1952 named Dusty Rhodes. My grandfather's sister told me years ago that he was a distant cousin.
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: This is what many chat rooms in the Genealogy Forum do
ARCAN23: You'll have to be patient with the novice.
ARCAN23: That was weird. Did somebody just check in and then check back out?
ARCAN23: When do you ask for rollcall?
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: Have you made use of the Mormon Family History Centers yet ?
ARCAN23: No. I tried online once but didn't get anywhere.
HOST GFS bud: Post you names any time Melanie _
KenElery: Roll call for me: Rhodes, Sanderson, Harris, Hatchett, Brimberry
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: They have the centers at most Latter Day Saints Churchs. If they
HOST GFS bud: have one in Decatur Give them a call
KenElery: Melanie Try Familysearch.com again
ARCAN23: Lichtenberger, Rhodes, Rucker, Hall, Hayes, that's on the side with the Rhodes. Got plenty of ones on the other side if you're interested.
HOST GFS bud: They have indexes of the families in their files at Salt Lake and will send the
HOST GFS bud: microfilms to the local center for you to view at very little cost
KenElery: Bud I just received their copy of the 1880 Census index 55 cds its great
HOST GFS bud: My wife does her German Genealogy through the Family History Center
HOST GFS bud: reading the church records from way back in the 1500rds
ARCAN23: So have either of you ever picked up any new info from anyone in the chat room?
HOST GFS bud: Of course you either read that old German Script (she does) or you have to
HOST GFS bud: have the records interpreted for you
ARCAN23: I have found info on my dad's side of the family (Branson) back to 1605. I think it was at Family Tree Maker.
KenElery: Not yet Melanie, But I havent given up. Usually there's morre people
ARCAN23: Bud how do you go about setting up a family chat? I'd love to do this with my husband's family.
KenElery: My tree is on their disc 12
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: I met a cousin the very first time I was in one. I host a Midwest
HOST GFS bud: Chat every Monday night at this same hour in the Ancestral Digs Conference
HOST GFS bud: room. Be here tomorrow night and see what a usual chat is like ")
KenElery: Gotta go, Bye, Ken
ARCAN23: Bye, Ken.
ARCAN23: What time is the chat tomorrow night?
HOST GFS bud: The Midwest Chat covers IL, IA,WI,MN, OH, Neb, and Mo.
ARCAN23: Is it just for anyone looking up family info, or what?
HOST GFS bud: 9:00 CST in the Ancestral Digs room
ARCAN23: Oops. I didn't notice you already said that.
ARCAN23: So how do you go about doing a chat room? Can anyone do it?
HOST GFS bud: Try it tomorrow and you might just find a new cousin. I have been hosting
HOST GFS bud: for over 5 years and have found quite a few
HOST GFS bud:
Use Key word ROOTS, then click on CHATS, Then Click on the Skull for
HOST GFS bud: Ancestral Digs Yes we have good attendance
ARCAN23: I discovered a couple of them in various parts of the family. One was my mom's second cousin.

e've been corresponding quite a bit since then.
HOST GFS bud: Just Ken Elery and my new friend Melanie who is still on line _
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: OpenUrEyes is number 4 son of mine from Dubuque
ARCAN23: I was just getting ready to sign off in a minute to get the little one off to bed. I just started to ask how he was related.
HOST GFS bud: Melanie is from Decatur IL
HOST GFS bud:
Thanks for coming Melanie. Drop in tomorrow night for a look at a scheduled chat
ARCAN23: Maybe everybody had other plans tonight, or who knows what? Hope to have time for tomorrow night. Thanks for the chat. Bye to both of you.
HOST GFS bud: Bye _
HOST GFS bud: Melanie: I will add you name to my list for announcements

No comments: